" Adventure is worthwhile in itself "

Wednesday 8 July 2015

Europe 1, Holland


This time My adventure starts in Holland, arriving in Amsterdam after flying for 25 hours from Auckland, with a halfway stopover in Singapore, where I slept for 8 hours in the Transit Hotel.

First of all We had a great get together for Frans and Ellen's 50th wedding anniversary with a boat trip along the river Vecht.
The weather is great, with temperatures in the mid thirties, which is much higher and sustained than I remember, then we were grateful if the summer fell on a weekend !
After setting up the bike I put in some miles in preparation for the weeks ahead, riding through the forests and fields of heather of the Veluwe, while being "at home" in Scherpenzeel.
The on the forth of  July my younger brother Arie and I went to Utrecht to watch the prolog of the Tour de France in Utrecht and enjoyed the racing and I the atmosphere with thousands of fans along the course. It was very exciting and noisy, the riders said they were unable to hear the coaches instructions because of the noise. 
The next day we witnessed the second stage with the family and neighbours, in Rotterdam, the spectacle passing through one street away from the house.
It is perfect motivation for the next few weeks on my bike, on my way South, to meet up with the Tour again in the French alps at Alpe'DHuez.
So my first day on the road is taking me along the Dutch coast, a very windy ride, wind against as usual, my first port of call at my cousin Kees and Diny in Zeeland and a visit to aunt Nel, who is 96 now !

Birdseye view atthe TdF prolog in Utrecht

Contador one of the favourites

 Waiting for the ferry across the Oude Maas at Rhoon South Holland
Ferry to Oud Bijerland

No comments: