" Adventure is worthwhile in itself "

Monday 13 July 2015

Europe 3, Belgium

 The waiting game.

The weather is great, so I have been exploring the rolling hills and river valleys of the Ardennes and the many villages, churches and monasteries of the area.
The area has many large cropping farms with fields ready to be harvested. Also many forests, nature reserves and trails to explore.

                         


The capital of this district is Namur, situated where the river Sambre meets the river Meuse, an old city with a huge citadel overlooking the city and the river junction.


Namur

The river Sambre at Namur

The river Meuse or Maas as we cal her in Holland reaches the North Sea at Hook of Holland. She flows through the city of Rotterdam my birthplace and gives me a special connection with the river. 
Biking through the hills and down the river valley it is very pleasant to ride the paved trail along the river's edge from Profondeville to Namur.


Cycling along the river Meuse


Some poor Belgian's house






Very picturesq 

I am the only guest in this small hotel, to be converted as I previously mentioned. Patrick, the owner is extremely nice and accommodating. Although we cannot speak each others languages we communicate well and he is obviously sad and will miss the hotel business he has built up over many years.
The small restaurant with a large outdoor area has reopened and is leased by a couple with dubious restaurant experience.
The first night of reopening Patrick helped out, shaking his head, when our eyes met and mumbling
"no good". The waitress of that night never appeared again, she might have got the blame for all the
problems. The next night Patrick was helping out on his own beside the new managers and although run off his feet, his personality and skill made it a success. Last night Patrick was absent and a new waitress was serving. Despite only about 5 tables occupied,  the service was extremely slow and chaotic, it reminded me of Faulty Towers at times. The new manager running around like Manuel completely out of his depth. The couple at a table behind me had ordered before me, the lady's meal was delivered, but the gentleman's meal, was delivered to me !
As it was the same as I had ordered, I started to eat it before the waitress discovered her mistake. They did not know how to deal with it, great panic. 
The couple and I had a good laugh about it, negotiated with sign language that we should share it, only if I could share their wine, as my wine had not arrived yet !
It all was sorted in the end, with the manager offering me another glass of wine on the house.
I think Patrick would have torn the last of his hair out, had he been there.
Breakfast is a much quieter affair, just me and Patrick's dog, who sits beside my chair and affectionately looks up at me. He is very clever and understands every word I say, unlike any of the
humans I meet lately.
Patrick serves a generous breakfast, and the rolls, croissants and pan au chocolat I don't eat, he wraps up for me to have for lunch or along the way on the bike.
His attention to detail is amazing, for instance he noticed that from the 3 mini jars of jams, I ate the strawberry jam, so he makes sure the strawberry jam is replenished.
Well it is Monday today and tomorrow could be the arrival of the replacement card, so I can be on my way again...I hope so.
No biking today, it is raining, but the outlook is good for the rest of the week.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Willem just testing. I have been trying to post a comment but have had no success. Pete